The watchdog group Project on Government Oversight is calling for a two-star general to be fired over allegedly saying officers who advocate for the A-10 are committing treason.
POGO on Tuesday posted online an electronic form letter calling for Maj. Gen. James Post to be removed from his position as vice commander of Air Combat Command. Visitors to the site Readers can sign the letter, add a personalized message, and send it to Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James.
The form part of the letter reads, “Maj. Gen. James Post’s recent comment about service members committing treason if they communicate with Congress about the A-10 shows he lacks the judgment to continue in his current role of vice commander of the Air Force’s Air Combat Command.” After a box where users can add a personalized message, the form letter concludes, “Maj. Gen. Post should be relieved of his command. We expect our officers to set a better example for our military.”
Earlier this month, Post allegedly made controversial remarks about the A-10 at a meeting of the Tactics Review Board at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, according to the military blog John Q. Public.
“Anyone who is passing information to Congress about A-10 capabilities is committing treason,” Post said, according to blogger and former Air Force officer Tony Carr.
Air Combat Command said in a statement that Post’s “use of hyperbole” was intended to prove a point, and not to restrict airmen from communicating with members of Congress.
But critics such as Carr say Post’s comments could be seen as trying to stifle debate on a very controversial subject.
The Air Force’s budget-driven plans to retire the A-10 have run into extremely stiff resistance in Congress. A-10 advocates say it is a proven platform that can deliver close air support inexpensively, and shows it is still effective as it fights the Islamic State terrorist group.
Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., last week called on James to investigate Post’s comment’s. McCain is the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee and is a vocal A-10 supporter.
The Air Force’s inspector general opened up an investigation into Post’s comments Jan. 22.




