BISMARCK, N.D. — A federal judge has declared a mistrial in the case of a former U.S. Marine Corps recruiter charged with setting several small fires at his workplace in Bismarck.
U.S. District Judge Daniel Hovland declared the mistrial Monday after jurors were unable to reach a unanimous decision on whether to convict Anthony DeGroot of arson.
DeGroot was charged in January 2014 with setting the fires in December 2013, causing about $30,000 in damage. Authorities say DeGroot told police he had been knocked unconscious by a visitor and awoke to find himself duct-taped inside the smoke-filled building.
DeGroot pleaded not guilty last October.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Clare Hochhalter says authorities plan to put DeGroot back on trial on the same charge at some point in the future.




