In the wake of devastating federal sanctions, officials from the Indiana-based
In late August, the
The financial blow was too much for Carmel, Indiana-based ITT to bear, so the decision was made to stop operations, a move that will affect thousands of students and employees.
“It is with profound regret that we must report that ITT Educational Services Inc. will discontinue academic operations at all of its ITT Technical Institutes permanently after approximately 50 years of continuous service,” said a statement from ITT. “With what we believe is a complete disregard by the U.S. Department of Education for due process to the company, hundreds of thousands of current students and alumni and more than 8,000 employees will be negatively affected.
“The actions of and sanctions from the U.S. Department of Education have forced us to cease operations of the ITT Technical Institutes, and we will not be offering our September quarter. We reached this decision only after having exhausted the exploration of alternatives, including transfer of the schools to a non-profit or public institution.”
The company said its focus and priority will be using the remaining staff to help displaced students with their records and future educational options. ITT had 40,000 students as of June 30.
In fiscal 2015, the school enrolled 11,223 Post-9/11 GI Bill students at a cost of $151.2 million, making it the seventh largest GI Bill school in the country, a Military Times review of Veterans Affairs Department data indicates. A total of 36 students used military tuition assistance to attend the school, at a cost of a little more than $80,000, over the same time period, analysis of Defense Department and Coast Guard data shows. The Army accounted for the largest share of those students, with 19.
Education Department Secretary John B. King Jr. has called the moves against ITT necessary to protect students and taxpayers. The college chain has faced fraud charges from the Securities and Exchange Commission. ITT also is being investigated by about 20 state attorneys general.King previously deflected a question about whether his department was looking to put ITT out of business, again saying that the move was made with students and taxpayers in mind.
ITT offered on-campus and online classes in business, nursing and health sciences, electronics and information technology. It operated 137 campuses across 39 states. ITT last year generated $850 million in revenue, about $580 million of which came from federal student loans.
The U.S. Department of Education previously stated that students who attend ITT on federal aid can get their loans discharged if ITT closes. Even past students, who have graduated or dropped out, can file claims to get their federal loans forgiven. But veterans have no recourse.
The Post-9/11 GI Bill gives veterans 36 months of college tuition, plus expenses, to attend the school of their choice. It makes no accommodation for students who are enrolled in a school that closes.
In the statement released Tuesday, ITT officials called the government’s action “inappropriate and unconstitutional,” stating that with its closure, it will fall to others parties to take action to attempt to prevent something like this from happening again.
“We have always carefully managed expenses to align with our enrollments. We had no intention prior to the receipt of the most recent sanctions of closing down despite the challenging regulatory environment that now threatens all proprietary higher education,” said the statement. “Despite our ongoing service to this nation’s employers, local communities and underserved students, these federal actions will result in the closure of the ITT Technical Institutes without any opportunity to pursue our right to due process.”
ITT’s enrollment was declining prior to the federal restrictions. In the three-month period ended June 30, ITT enrolled 9,846 new students, an 18.3% decline from a year earlier. ITT in July said it expected new student enrollment to fall 45 percent to 60 percent in the second half of the year.
Justin L. Mack writes for the The Indianapolis Star.




