Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump wants advertising revenue from the next GOP debate to go to veterans charities instead of network executives.
In a letter to CNN president Jeff Zucker released Wednesday, the business mogul asked that all profits from the Sept. 16 debate “go to various VETERANS groups, a list of which I will send to you in the near future.”
The request comes less than a week before Trump delivers a major address on veterans and military issues in Los Angeles and amid a series of controversial comments that have drawn the ire of veterans groups.
“The veterans of our country, our finest people, have been treated horribly by our government and its ‘all talk and no action’ politicians,” the letter said. “In fact, some would say they are treated like third class citizens — even worse, in many cases, than illegal immigrants.
“It is about time that someone comes to their aid. Let’s start now!”
CNN officials have reported spikes in advertising rates for the Sept. 16 event, just a few weeks after Fox News posted a record audience for the first GOP debate. Trump said that could translate into millions of dollars for worthy charities.
“While I refuse to brag, and as you know very well, this tremendous increase in viewer interest and advertising is due 100% to ‘Donald J. Trump,’ ” he wrote in the letter.
He also touts his past work on the Manhattan veterans memorial and said the difficulties facing veterans in America today are “why my campaign is so focused on these great people who have done so much for us.”
But Trump has done little to draw positive press for his veterans comments to date.
Earlier this summer, veterans groups blasted him for mocking Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., for being taken prisoner of war in Vietnam. And The New York Times has reported that Trump’s upcoming biography includes his reflections that he felt like he had served in the military because he attended a military-themed prep school, where he received “more training” than a lot of troops in uniform get.
Trump has set up a hotline to troubleshoot problems for veterans seeking benefits or support services, but outside advocates reported little information or effectiveness with that effort.
He has also formed his own “Veterans for Trump” coalition.
CNN has not yet publicly responded to the billionaire’s request.




